A few WordPress experts are hosting a introduction to WordPress and DoOO/IndieWeb
Saturday, August 1, 2020 9:30 - 11:30am (America/Los_Angeles)
IndieWebCamp: Pop-ups Getting Started with WordPress
The meeting link will be shown on the main event site 15 minutes before the event
This will be a broad-based introduction to the DoOO/IndieWeb session specifically focused on using WordPress. Our aim is to help people get set up and running a self-hosted website with WordPress though some of our discussion will work for WordPress.com versions as well.
- Grab a cup of coffee and get an IndieWeb site up and running in just a few hours.
- Have questions or problems with your current WordPress site? Stop by and get some help.
- Just figuring out what DoOO/IndieWeb is about? Much of what we’ll discuss is applicable to other platforms and may be useful to other beginners as well.
- All levels of experience welcome
- (Note: for those without a domain registered or web hosting, we may have a brief pre-session to help you out so we can be more productive during the main session.)
- Installing Themes and Plugins
- Notifications/Webmentions for site-to-site communication
- IndieAuth, an oAuth extension, which allows you to use your website to log into other services
- A variety of Micropub clients for more easily posting a variety of content to your website
- WebSub for real-time communications
- Syndication methods to other sites including POSSE and PESOS as well as syndication links
- Pulling replies/responses out of social media and back to your original post using Brid.gy
- Post Kinds Plugin for posting replies, likes, favorites, watches, listens, reads, etc. to your website
- Integrating social readers into your website to allow you to read, write, and respond to the social web
- Notes for the session will take place at: Etherpad
- Create week: Following the session, we’ll give people a chance to create something for their site to do remote demos.
- Demos: When we’re done, we’ll have a short online demo session so people can show off the new sites and maybe demo their favorite functionality.