Installing Free SSL Certificates

Reclaim Hosting provides free SSL certificates for all users through the Let’s Encrypt project. To get started navigate to your cPanel account and click the Let’s Encrypt icon located under the Security section.

The interface will list all of your domains with those secured with a Let’s Encrypt certificate at the top. To install a new certificate for a domain click the Issue button next to the domain name.

If you would like to use the same certificate for subdomains, like www, check the box next to each one that should be secured.

NOTE: Let’s Encrypt does not currently issue wildcard certificates so you have to select each subdomain individually

Once you’re ready to go, click the Issue button at the bottom of the page. If successful, the domain will be secured with a free TLS SSL certificate provided by Let’s Encrypt.

Forcing HTTPS

Adding a certificate only provides the option to load over SSL, but doesn’t force it on the server. For information on how to setup your site to run exclusively over https see this thread

The Let’s Encrypt HTTP Challenge Failed - This error can occur if the domain you are attempting to install an SSL certificate is not currently hosted with us. Let’s Encrypt attempts to verify domain records by reading a file placed in the root directory of the domain. If the domain is not resolving to our servers this test will fail. If the domain is hosted with us and you are still encountering problems, please contact us for support.

Force HTTPS for your site
How to Renew SSL Certificates?
Redirect from old domain works, but shows up as insecure
Having a few problems with comments going to Spam on newish site
SSL error? I feel so insecure
Security help - certificates
Privacy Error/SSL Certificate Issue

Hey Tim,

Been working on securing sites and this has been really helpful!! Having trouble though with selecting subdomains for a multisite. Since the wildcard option doesn’t work, I couldn’t figure out how to select them individually as they don’t show up in the list. Is there a way to add them?

Currently working on the old domain.

• Michael

Since Let’s Encrypt doesn’t support wildcard domains yet it can be a bit difficult. You can manually setup subdomains in cPanel and just keep pointing them to the same document root as the wildcard subdomain. They won’t conflict and any subdomains created there will show up, so for example even if you have * as a subdomain you can also create (or whatever an actual subdomain of the network is) and point it to the same folder and then issue a cert for it. Just more of a manual process (and you have to keep in mind Let’s Encrypt has rate limits in place to prevent you from issuing a bunch of certificates so you may run into that if you have a lot of subdomains.

Let’s Encrypt has announced they will be supporting wildcard subdomains next year so we’ll be on the lookout for that support and hopefully be able to add it to cPanel as well.

There’s an option to “add CPanel subdomains (webmail,webdisk,cpanel)”.

If you would be so kind to elaborate, I’m curious about this option. When would I want to select this and why?

cPanel offers what are called “proxy subdomains” to access cPanel, Webmail, etc. We use cpanel.serverhostname.tld when logging users in via our portal. If a user wanted to login to cPanel directly and wanted to do it over SSL and also wanted to use their own domain it would be necessary to have a certificate. But in my opinion it’s a lot of ifs. If you access cPanel through our client area you’re secure and always will be so this only applies to a particular URL based on your own domain.

Thanks for the elaboration. I really appreciate it.