Suggestions for a book collection site

Hi everyone, I am just getting started and am at the practice stage. (I am part of cogdog’s Domain Camp.) I am exploring what I can do with my own domain and am thinking of creating a place where I document the books I read. (I read a lot.) Do you have a suggestion as to which type of package would work best for this? A wordpress site, maybe an Omeka? Thank for reading my post, Irene

Before picking software you might want to detail more about the features, functionality you want in such a site. How does it need to be structured? Will you be adding a lot of organizational terms to catalog/search your books or is more about writing about them?

Then it’s worth looking at a few existing sites to identify ones that have features, functions, designs that appeal.

Omeka is certainly built for libraries and collections where organizing the metadata is important; but you find plenty of book reviews published in Wordpress sites too. The answer is either might work well.

A lot of folks also do this in other services like http://goodreads.com, which does have some data services you could connect to a Wordpress site.

Design the functionality first!

If it’s just a log of the books you read, anything can handle that. If you’re looking to add notes/reflections and document key ideas from each book, something like Wordpress would work. I use a Wordpress site to document reading I do as a grad student - APA citation for the article/book, keywords for topics, categories for themes. I add notes and key quotes, and enable the “related posts” feature so I can easily follow connections between articles. It’s all searchable, so it’s easy to find anything I’ve read. The site isn’t public, but you can see it at https://phdnotes.darcynorman.net - password “cmd”

Thank you for sharing access. Your work has given me some new ideas!

There’s also LibraryThing - it has a much better privacy policy than Goodreads, and it has a widget you can use to embed in your site. There is a lifetime subscription cost of $25 if you list more than 200 books. I would have a hard time remembering what I’ve read without it.

Thanks, it’s great to know LibraryThing is still around. I really liked their approach and use of RSS feeds way back in the early days,